The Laveen Community Council will award a minimum of three scholarships of at least $1,500 each.
1. Be a graduating senior who is a resident of or attends school in Laveen, Arizona*
2. Have a cumulative unweighted grade point average of 3.25 or above.
3. Demonstrate a history of community involvement.
4. Must be able to have college acceptance letter when receiving the scholarship. (Vocational and trade school commitment letter is acceptable.)
* Laveen is defined as the area: • West of 27th Ave, • East of 91st Ave, • North of the South Mountain Park & Gila River Indian Reservation, • South of the Salt River.
The Application Process:
1. Please print and complete the application page (application must be signed by the student AND school counselor).
2. Use provided form showing evidence of regular involvement in charitable activities or volunteer service, school, church or community organizations.
3. Provide two letters of recommendation; one of which must be from a representative of where you volunteered for community service and one from a teacher or administrator from your high school.
4. Submit an official sealed copy of your school or home school transcripts showing a minimum of a 3.25 unweighted GPA.
5. Submit your minimum 300-word typed essay by the deadline.
Please write an original essay with a 300-word minimum that answers the following questions:
Q1. "What role does community service play in your life?"
Q2. "How do you think your contribution(s)
have made an impact or have made the Laveen Community better?”
Please Note thatthat Applicat received after the deadline will not be considered. Please submit your application with all supporting material and the essay by APRIL 1, 2019 to:
Laveen Community Council
P.O. Box 488
Laveen AZ 85339-0488
Representatives from the community will review the applications in a “blind” process where no characteristics other than the submissions and essays are known to the readers. The evaluators use a point system to determine the scholarship winners.
Winners will be notified by phone and invited to attend the Laveen Community Council Meeting at 6:15 PM on Tuesday, May 7 to read their essays and receive their scholarship awards.